Cost of living in Nepal (average, local)
100 rupees (NPR) = USD$1.15
- 45 minute bus ride NPR 30
- Taxi across capital NPR 100-150
- 1 litre of fuel NPR 125
- Non meat meal NPR (dal bhat) 100- 150
- 1 litre of clean water NPR 5-10
A housekeeper in Nepal gets paid 100 rupees per day. Sometimes nothing if they are plucked from a village and promised food and lodging.Low income earnings in Nepal:
An average guest house cook/cleaner/worker gets paid 100 rupees per day. Food is usually included here too.
A chief chef gets paid 150 rupees per day, plus food.
Manual construction workers get paid NPR 300-500
It should be noted that at this level, contracts are rarely written. Word of mouth is used to agree terms. Some tourist industry staff pay unions to represent them should a grievance occur.
The government states that the minimum wage in Nepal should be NPR 6,100 per month.
Middle income earnings in Nepal
- A restaurant waiter gets paid 100 rupees per day, plus 10% of the service charge added to meals, tips, and food.
- A taxi man earns NPR 200 – 300 per day after car rental (700-800) plus fuel.
- Public primary school teacher gets paid NPR 5,000 – 10,000 depending on area. Rural teachers get paid less.
- A starting bank staff member earns NPR 10,000 per month
- Secondary and tertiary teachers NPR 20,000 per month
- A starting level government worker gets NPR 7,000
Note: There are often hidden extras here, including monthly bonuses, food and fuel allowances.
Upper income salaries in Nepal
- A parliament member earns NPR 45,000 per month
- A bank manager can earn up to NPR 100,000 per month
- Senior telecommunications engineer NPR 100,000+
Government salaries in Nepal
- As of 2009 the Prime Minister of Nepal earns NPR 35,000 per month base + NPR 252,000 per month expenses/salaries for their team.
- Deputy prime minister expenses for their team NPR 175,000
- Minister expenses for their team NPR 132,000 (source original deleted by source)
Example of ministers salary system:
25 ministers on average in a fiscal year = NPR 4.47 million each month, including salaries and fuel, travel and daily allowances for all cabinet members.
Note: The above is for the ministers “teams” per month. And does not include additional expenses or “additional” funds. eg. transport out-of-town/country, out of hours work etc
Expats, NGO and overseas workers
Here we go into the strange world of incredibly high earnings of overseas worker in Nepal.
Many diplomats are paid here on a two tier system. Base salaries are paid into their home accounts while a live in country salary is paid in Nepalese rupees. Plus additional expenses for staff such as drivers, cooks, etc.
The scale of NGO workers salaries here is dependent on the organization.
- UN messenger (grade 1) per year earns NPR 454,849
- A senior UN Admin (grade 7) per year earns NPR 2,253,914
- A senior UN national officer (grade 7) earns NPR 4,957,280
Many senior positions, again, get a base salary + expenses + spouse allowance + child allowance + 1st and/or 2nd language allowance (source).
Lindsey Neve (verifierad ägare) –
I received the pashmina which was a replacement of the one which I purchased from you many years ago and which I have now given to my grandaughter. I was so disappointed in the colour of green because it was not anything like the green shown in the website. My original pashmina was what I call bottle green, but the one sent was almost grey. Please can you advise me me if you have received the returned pashmina? I sent it by recorded delivery early last week. Ideally I would like a replacement in a dark, deep green but if not then a refund so that I can choose another colour. I have found it very difficult to contact you, having left several phone messages and tried to have on line chats on your site but have never got through to you. I also own another of your pashminas and love that one.